Do you like to see famous snow monkeys? Well, “snow” monkeys are in winter only, and in other seasons, they are just wild monkeys. Combination of snow monkey tour and a visit to Zenkoji Temple can make a good day trip in Nagano.
Snow monkey tours operated as package tour from Tokyo, Nagano, etc.
Following snow monkey tours are operated regularly. Please check the tours you are interested in. Follow this link for the latest list of snow monkey tours. Snow monkey tours from Tokyo are available but limited in number. From Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, you can just go to Nagano then take a tour from Nagano Station.
Snow monkey tours from Tokyo
Some snow monkey tours are available from Tokyo. However, days may be limited or it’s too expensive for solo travelers. If you cannot find a snow monkey tour from Tokyo that suits to you, we recommend you to get Shinkansen to Nagano Station, then join in a tour starting from Nagano Station. Spend a night in Nagano can also be a fun. Shinkansen tickets are available online.
- Snow Monkey 1 Day Tour with Sukiyaki Lunch from Tokyo (available on limited days of a week)
- From/To Tokyo City 14 Hours Snow Monkey&Karuizawa Shopping Excursion (private car tour recommended for a group)
- 3-Day Private Tokyo and Nagano: Snow Monkeys, Tsukiji Market and Bullet Train
Snow monkey tours from Nagano Station
These are snow monkey tours starting from Nagano Station. Ideal for those who stay in Nagano City. If you are in Tokyo, you may take Shinkansen to go to Nagano. Taking Shinkansen train that departs before 8:00 am from Tokyo Station, you can reach to Nagano Station before 9:30 am. Then you can join in a day tour from Nagano Station to visit snow monkey park.
- 1-Day Tour: Snow Monkeys & Snow Fun in the Shiga-kogen Highlands, Nagano
- (Spring only) 1-Day Tour: Snow Monkeys & Cherry Blossoms in Nagano
- Nagano Full-Day Cycling Tour with Snow Monkey, Obuse Town, Apple Orchards
- Full-Day Tour of Snow Monkeys, Zenko-ji Temple and Sake in Nagano
- Full-Day Private Nagano Tour: Zenkoji Temple, Obuse, Jigokudani Monkey Park
- Nagano Winter Special Tour “Snow Monkey and Snowshoe Hiking”!!
About Snow Monkeys in Japan
The Snow Monkeys, also known as Japanese Macaques, are a species of monkeys that are native to Japan. They are famous for their ability to survive in cold temperatures and for their love of hot springs, or “onsen.”
The Snow Monkeys can be found in several areas of Japan, but the most famous and easily accessible population can be found in the Jigokudani Monkey Park in Nagano Prefecture. The park is a natural hot springs area that is home to a large population of Snow Monkeys.
Visitors to the park can observe the monkeys as they soak in the hot springs, an unusual sight that has made the Snow Monkeys a popular attraction for tourists. The monkeys are also known for their playful and curious nature, and they are not shy around humans.
The Snow Monkeys are an important part of Japanese culture and are considered a symbol of resilience and adaptation. They are protected by law and are an important part of Japan’s natural heritage.
Visiting the Snow Monkeys is a unique and unforgettable experience, and a great way to learn about and appreciate Japan’s diverse wildlife and natural beauty.